Let’s begin the history of Fines Creek with how it got it’s name. The creek was originally called Crystal Creek and was later called Twelve Mile Creek since it’s length is twelve miles.
In the winter of 1783 the Indians began to steal horses and cattle from the Big Pigeon settlement. Major Peter Fine helped to raise a company of men and followed the Indians across the mountains of North Carolina where they killed one Indian and wounded others. The Indians returned fire, killing Vinette Fine, the brother of Peter. Because there was no time for grave digging, the ice in the nearby creek was broken and the body of Vinette was placed in the creek through a hole in the ice. Before the men could return to retrieve the body, the creek flooded and the body was washed away. It was never recovered. To this day, this valley is known as Fines Creek.
It is from this story we have designed a quilt square as the logo for the Fines Creek Community Association.